Saturday, February 24, 2007

what's the point of studying bad literature?


I have actually enjoyed reading all three texts that we have studied in class, perhaps that's just because I like to read, good book or not; however, I have not enjoyed dissecting them. I imagine this is because there is very little to dissect in bad literature. I think that is, in part, my discovery regarding what makes a book "bad". Though, I find it necessary to point out that the adjective "bad" is vague, and fits in the category of adjectives to use when one is just to lazy to find a more suitable one. No offense of course, the title of the class is enticing and sold me, I mean, I am enrolled in it; though, when we are discussing a particular book, it isn't enough to say that it's just "bad", really what does that mean? What this point has lead me to is that we are often quick to judge something by adding an ambiguous, thoughtless adjective when there are many more appropriate words that could be used, and I have come to understand this more thoroughly in this course. I find it useful to study bad literature partly to learn how to talk about literature that we are not normally exposed to in university. Most of us can express why a book is well written, but not why it is poorly written.

Another reason that I find this class useful is that we are to become adept at critical analysis of bad literature, which translates into the ability to critically analyze "bad" media of all sorts. We are surrounded by trashy pop culture that so many of us guiltily indulge in, but it is useful to have the tools to at least observe with awareness. Sometimes we are not even willing participants in our exposure to media, billboards, ads in newspapers, the radio in a coffee shop... I prefer to be at least able to take a more active role in my media exposure, both intentional and unintentional exposure, in that I can be aware of what I am being fed instead of being a passive watcher/listener/reader and just taking everything in. Critical analysis is an important tool to acquire in order to be prepared for what we are exposed to in our daily lives.

More along the lines of what we are supposed to be discussing, themes that we have encountered in this course...
One interesting point that Jon has mentioned several times is the market place of literature. I had never put into terms before the idea of what audience the author is trying to reach: the mass market, from were he gets financial gain, or the cultural market from where he earns a higher status and notability in the academic community.
Also interesting, are the very different styles we have so far encountered in these three books. I think that, despite their obvious faults, and though I agree that they are all not such great works of literature, they at least have their own styles. Granted, nothing' s original, they are better than some really trashy pulp out there like Dan Brown's sad attempt at a writing career or, ugh, Danielle Steel. So I guess that perhaps these books are kind of a middle ground between good and bad literature (ah, middle-brow, I get that now). Now, I do realize that Coelho has a format that he probably follows in all of his books and this has worked for him and made him wealthy, but at least he puts forth a book with a moral in the form of a fable that you can read to children (I mean, I think The Alchemist would make a decent kids book). And Esquivel made an attempt at developing her own style, but, did you notice that almost every chapter is exactly fifteen pages long (I like to count, what can i say). This leads me to believe that she is following a format for each chapter, begins with a recipe, ends in a disaster, usually includes crying. But nonetheless, she has some sort of style of her own that would make a pretty good short story. And Allende's story had a style of her own, what made that book disappointing was the rushed and contrived ending. (like this one)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that this class has been helpful thus far in regards to talking about literature that doesn't necessarily fit into a standard university curriculum.
Also with what you said about 'Como Agua...' (though I continue to stand by my little Laura) and it's somewhat predictable format.

Jon said...

Yes... middlebrow! I agree that the books we've been reading aren't the worst books in the world. But one might argue (as you suggest, when you talk about each one having its own "style") that they raise expectations that they should be better.

Put it this way: what you call "trashy pop culture" usually doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it is, a brief entertainment or diversion. But isn't the thing with Allende, Coelho, and Esquivel that they seem to offer something more. They seem to offer some kind of (what I've been calling) cultural capital. And isn't that all the more reason then to "dissect" them, to question how far they live up to their implicit pretensions?

Anonymous said...

I agree with what you said about how it is much easier to explain why a book is well written than why it is badly written. I think this is because we are constantly being given criteria on what consitutes good writing in university and it is easier to identify that which we know. When it comes to bad writing, I can often tell that it is bad, but I have a difficult time putting it into words because it's not something I am usually asked to do.

-Francesca

Dave said...

I agree that the use of adjectives to describe literature is a concern. At least in my opinion, it would be more appropriate to say perhaps "complex" or "simple" to describe writings. If many people enjoy a book, I have trouble saying it is "bad". I can say I don't like it, or say its simple or complex, but I have trouble judging it as good or bad.

However, Jon makes a very good point that some books are intented to be something, in our class, for example, cultural capital. Thus, perhaps it is correct to anayze "good" or "bad" in relation to what the author is trying to purport. I think this idea complicates the matter, and I'll have to really think about my original position.

Rhiannon said...

ja ja, the alchemist as a children's book; exactly! it is so overly didactic -to the point that i started taking offense to it. because to me it felt like Coelho assumed that i (the reader) knew so little about what he was trying to communicate, or assumed that it was so 'complex' and 'profound' that i couldn't possibly understand it in one go, and that i instead needed to have it hand-fed to me and stuffed down my throat over and over -and over- again! quite frusterating to read. like 'ugh! i get it already! you're so full of sh**!' lol ;)

darja said...

i agree with you rhiannon...with books like The Alchemist, one can really get a sense of the regard in which the author holds his or her readers. When they simplify something to such an extent that it becomes clear that maybe they don't think you'd understand otherwise, you almost feel insulted. That's when we have to to sit back, relax, and enjoy a bedtime story that takes place in a far away desert. that's what i liked.

Anonymous said...

You write very well.