Monday, April 9, 2007

Reflections on Spanish 365

I found the texts in this class to be rather enjoyable, and thus, the class as a whole to be enjoyable. My favorite part however, was the final half, as we were studying Cien Años. There was so much to discover in this book. I feel, though we examined the themes in this novel extensively, we barely scratched the surface.

Regarding the other texts we studied, I felt that they were interesting to discuss, though not always interesting to read (I am thinking of Cumandá), and I would have liked to have studied Neruda more extensively as we didn't cover much poetry. Although, I know we did not have much time to fit everything in.

What I found most enjoyable was the approach the class took in surveying the texts, finding themes and analyzing them as well looking at certain aspects of human behavior and relationships between the characters and their roles as members in their families as well as the difference in the family units themselves. As well, I thought the blogs were a great part of the course and should be use in more classes. I think this is good way to first, make reflections on the texts we are studying etc, second, be able to go back and reread these reflections as a reminder of the thoughts we had along the way, and the third and most useful reason, to be able to peruse the ideas of your classmates in order to get a more full interpretation of the texts studied. I found this last reason to be most helpful as people brought up things I hadn't thought of, which encouraged me to go further in my analysis and challenged my ideas.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Firstly, I'm going to miss not seeing you every single weekday Ashea.
Secondly, I agree with you about the blogs. Although I found them excruciatingly time-consumming at times, I found it so helpful too see what other people thought about the texts. It certainly helped not to get pigeonholed into one interpretation of any given text.
Mikael

Unknown said...

I agree with you about liking Cien Anos the most. While I think this is an amazing work, I can't help but think the reason that I liked it so much was because we were able to spend so much time on it. In retrospect, it seems like all the other works we read were so long ago. I too liked the blogs for the fact that they made me think about things I hadn't thought of. It was interesting to get ideas from people that wouldn't have necessarily come about in class.

Kerry